There’s a new rumor going around today that Apple’s preparing a highly anticipated 4-inch iPhone for launch in March or April, however it’s not going to be called the iPhone 6c, 7c, or even 5e; it’s gonna be called the iPhone “5se”.
Let that sink in for a sec… the iPhone “5se”. It’s supposed to stand for either a “special edition” of the beloved 4-inch iPhone or an “enhanced” version of the iPhone 5s. To me, it sounds and looks weird. I mean, could you image the company who try to make the simplest naming schemes and products could release a phone called the iPhone “5se”? To me, it doesn’t make sense, but I guess if it happens, I’ll have to live with it. In it’s defense, it kinda corresponds to previous rumors that the phone would be called the “5e”.
Besides the name, the new device is set to feature a similar body to the 5s, something that pretty much proves yesterday’s “leaked” iPhone “6c” video insufficient, alongside an A8 processor (the same found in the iPhone 6), an NFC chip for Apple Pay, and Live Photos, something only found on the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus.
Here’s some of the features we’re expecting to see in the new 4-inch iPhone:
- The chamfered, shiny edges have been replaced with curved glass like on the iPhone 6 and 6s lines
- The same 8 megapixel rear camera and 1.2 megapixel front camera systems from the iPhone 6
- Support for larger panoramas and autofocus for video recording
- Barometer for tracking elevation in the Health app
- An NFC chip for Apple Pay
- The A8 and M8 chips from the iPhone 6
- Bluetooth 4.2, VoLTE, and 802.11ac WiFi chips from the iPhone 6s
- Live Photos from the iPhone 6s
- Same Silver, Space Gray, Silver, & Rose Gold color options as the 6s line
The reason for all of these upgrades it to keep up with future major iOS upgrades without competing with the design of the newer and larger iPhone 6s line. Apple hopes that this model could spur additional upgrades over time from those currently sticking to an iPhone 5 or earlier. The current 5s will likely be discontinued, per sources, and the “5se” will take its price point.
So when can you expect this new phone? Well, right now, rumors are swirling that Apple will host a keynote in March to announce it alongside the Apple Watch 2 and possibly new MacBooks. The release date is rumored to be late March or early April.
Will you become a proud owner of the iPhone “5se” when/if it comes out?